Thursday 22 May 2014

Jamie Oliver Challenge Submission 4: Cajun Spicy Rub

For my first attempt at a Naked Chef 2 recipe I took the conservative approach, the Spicy Cajun Rub is hands down the simplest recipe on my list.  It seemed appropriate to get my feet wet by starting off easy.   

I did make some minor modifications/substitutions to the recipe.  I hope this is allowable under JOC regulations.  I used smoked paprika instead of regular paprika and sea salt instead of salt.  I'm also a garlic lover and at a minimum, always double the amount of garlic in every recipe.  For the rub I used 5 cloves of garlic.  I also didn't “pound” (as the recipe calls for) so much as I “mixed” (in a bowl).  Lastly, all the ingredients in the rub were purchased from bulk barn (except the garlic).


I chose boneless skinless chicken breast (Thrifty’s BOGO) as the meat to rub with the enchanting mixture.  I added Costco tortellini with a medley of vegetables made of red onion, mushrooms and red pepper.  I will give this recipe a B. I think grilling may not have been the best method for cooking as the onion flakes immediately charred. However, the cayenne gave it nice heat and the variety of spices had a nice balanced flavour.

- Chef Choo


RECIPE:

2 tablespoons paprika
2 tablespoons cayenne pepper
1 tablespoon black peppercorns, ground
2 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
3 tablespoons onion flakes
2 tablespoons dried oregano
Salt 

Pound all the ingredients together until you have a powdery consistency and rub all over your chosen meat.

Yield: 1/2 cup
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 7 minutes


No comments:

Post a Comment